Now is the time to get your outdoor chores done and home ready before the snow flies. It’s much simpler to address your home’s maintenance before it’s covered in snow and ice plus there are still many beautiful days in the forecast.
If you’ve outgrown the continuous repairs and weekends spent on yard work all summer long at your current home and are ready to consider selling it we’d love the opportunity to give you a free home evaluation. Or if you’re dreaming of a bigger yard with more space for your kids to play, a dog to run, and space for a garden we can help you find the home of your dreams. Not only is Cove Realty Kenosha’s #1 Independent Brokerage we offer flexible commissions, as low as 3.5% if you buy and sell your Kenosha County home with us.
Here are 9 tips to get your home ready for the winter.
1) Inspect your roof! Fall is the last chance to spot problems before the snow starts flying, so take a good look and fasten any loose shingles, gutters, etc.
2) Don’t forget to do fall landscape cleanup and planting. If you want to add new shrubs or spring bulbs like hyacinth, now is the time to get them in the ground. Some plants do best when planted in the fall.
3) Check your heating system and freshen your furnace filter. Check with professionals in your area for an annual inspection before the frigid temperatures arrive.
4) We recommend testing all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors every month. Install fresh batteries and don’t be afraid to replace them with newer, smarter models that can alert you to danger when you aren’t home.
5) If your perennials really took off this year, go ahead and spread the love. Divide plants and add them to other beds where they will also thrive. This saves money and time in the spring.
6) Cleaning out the dryer vents can be a job you do yourself, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing so (or if you’ve been putting it off), you may want to hire a pro to do it before your home is closed up all winter long.
7) Want to save on your energy bills this winter? You may consider adding insulation to your attic space or inside walls.
8) Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can lead to damaged exteriors and water in your basement.
9) Protect faucets and in-ground irrigation systems from freezing. Close any shut-off valves and open the outside faucet to drain the line.
Since 2000 Cove Realty has helped thousands of clients with their Kenosha County real estate needs. We have saved each client thousands of dollars and provided each with great advice and fantastic communication during the process.